Engaging today's learners with their tomorrow career
5 guiding principles
Professional skills development
Self-discovery and exploration
The Andover Center for Advanced Professional Studies (CAPS) is a high school innovation that creates a learning environment where students are treated as peer adults and can explore potential careers based on knowing their passions, purpose and strengths while working with professionals and practitioners on real-world problems and projects. All CAPS courses recieve high school credit and some are eligible for college credit.
Andover CAPS is based on a simple premise: Too many students leave high school not having a firm understanding of what they want to do in their careers. They haven’t had the opportunity to explore interests, meet business professionals, and understand their path to a fulfilling life.
Andover CAPS is setting out to change that for students at Andover Public Schools.
Tying into the success of the CAPS National Network, Andover CAPS offers high school juniors and seniors:
- A boot camp into professional expectations such as appropriate attire, professional conduct, how to write a business email and more.
- Opportunities to hear from leading industry professionals.
- Mentoring from professionals in students’ area of career interests.
- The opportunity to work on real-world business problems with hands-on experience with companies and organizations.
- The opportunity to explore career interests, whether a student has an idea of what they want to do professionally or not.
- Space to explore interests that could lead to a career path.
- High school credit, with the opportunity for college credit.